What is IATF 16949?
IATF 16949:2016 is to be implemented as a supplement to, and in conjunction with ISO 9001:2015 rather than being a standalone QMS standard. It specifies the requirements for establishing, implementing, maintaining and continually improving a QMS for any organization, in the automotive industry regardless of size.
IATF 16949 emphasizes the development of a process oriented quality management system that provides for continual improvement, defect prevention and reduction of variation and waste in the supply chain. The goal is to meet customer requirements efficiently and effectively.
The standard is applicable to any organization that manufactures components, assemblies and parts for supply to the automotive industry.
Who are the IATF?
The IATF is an ad hoc group of OEM’s and automotive trade associations whose common goal is to improve the quality of products to automotive customers worldwide. IATF members include the Big 3, along with Fiat, Citroen, VW, Renault and national automotive trade associations from the US, Germany, UK, Italy and France. Additionally, the Japanese vehicle association, JAMA, has been involved with the IATF’s efforts to develop IATF 16949.
Steps for IATF 16949 Certification
- IATF 16949 Audit /Assessment (Gap Analysis).
- Development of an Implementation Plan.
- Provide Awareness Training to all employees.
- Allocate Resources that will be necessary to develop and implement the system
- Prepare Quality System Documentation – Tier 1, 2, 3 documents (Quality Manual, Quality System Procedures, Work Instructions and Quality Records/Forms).
- Determine Training Needs of Employees – Job and Employee Skill Matrix (ie. overview of new system, internal auditing, problem solving, teamwork, etc…).
- Implement the New System.
- Conduct Internal Audits.
- Take Corrective Actions, if necessary.
- Re-Audit/Follow-up, if necessary.
- Registrar Audit Preparation/Training
- Registration Application.
- Registration Audit.
- Registration Certificate Issued.
- Maintain, Improve and Innovate the System.