What is Hallmarking?
Hallmarking is the accurate determination and official recording of the proportionate content of precious metal in gold. Hallmarks are thus official marks used in many countries as a guarantee of purity or fineness of gold jewelry.
What are the objectives behind instituting Hallmarking Scheme?
To protect consumer against victimization due to irregular gold quality, develop India as a leading gold market centre in the World and to develop export competitiveness
What are the benefits to Customer?
Provide third party assurance and satisfaction that customer gets right purity of gold for the given price (value for money).
How will the jewelers benefits?
It will provide clear indication of his capability, strong evidence of commitment to quality and assurance of consistency in purity and quality of gold jewelry.
Who operates the Hallmarking Scheme?
It is a voluntary scheme being operated by BIS under the BIS Act 1986. As per this scheme the licence is granted to a jeweler for certification of purity of gold jewelry in accordance with IS 1417.BIS is operating the scheme through its network of Regional/ Branch Offices all over the country. A licensee jeweler has to go to get the jewelry hallmarked through any of the recognized Assaying and hallmarking centres.
What is the procedure for Grant of Recognition to Hallmarking Centers?
The recognition of the Hallmarking Centre is done by BIS after ensuring that the Hallmarking Centre follows BIS guidelines which are in line with international norms for sampling and testing and also have adequate Test Facilities as per IS 1418, trained and competent manpower.
Necessary Requirement For Hallmark certification
- Memorandum of Article / Partnership Deed / Proprietorship firm
- Last Property Tax receipt / ownership of property/ Copy of rented property/ Colored Photograph of the Shop # Location Map (Illustrative only) of Premises from some nearest prominent landmark
- Sales Tax / VAT registration copy
- Copy of the PAN /Copy of Income tax Returns for last two years
Application for licence to use the Hallmark
- Full Name of Firm:
- Factory/Sales Outlet
- Management: Name & Address Designation Seal of Firm
- Contact Person, Tel., Fax No. & E mail address, if any
- Correspondence Address
The application is made to use the BIS Hallmark on:
- Indian Standard: IS
- Present Sale (Sale per Annum) or Present Installed Capacity (Production per Annum)
Any other BIS Licence held, if yes
- Licence No.:
- IS No.:
- Details of Previous Cancellation/ Convictions, if any, under BIS Act
- I hereby accept Certification Fees and Hallmarking Charges as detailed in HM/PF 311.1, December 2005 and Scheme for Certification of Gold Jewelry/Artifacts for fineness marking.