ISI stands for the Indian Standards Institute, a body set up when India gained Independence to create standards needed for orderly commercial growth and maintaining quality in industrial production. By the mid-80s the country’s socio-economic climate had changed, triggering the need to set up a stronger body, the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS), which then took over ISI. But the term “ISI mark” continues to be used to mean that a certain product conforms to the quality standards set up by the government.
ISI mark registration is mandatory for all the certifying products sold in India. The mark is meant for better quality and safety of the products. The Products having ISI indicate that products are in compliance with the Indian standard quality
Purpose of ISI Registration
The purpose of ISI registration is to
- Provide quality assurance of any product or good;
- Increase the confidence of the customer while buying the good;
- Provide a safeguard to the health of the customer.
Is it mandatory to obtain ISI Mark?
The government of India, as well as Bureau of Indian Standard, makes it mandatory to obtain ISI on certain products sold in India. Those products include electrical appliances as well as industrial items. However, from September 2012 ISI is compulsory for certified steel products and steel items.
Who is authorized to issue ISI mark?
ISI certifies that a product is made as per the Indian Standard. Bureau of Indian Standards(BIS) is an authorized body for the issuance of the mark.
Who can use the ISI mark?
BIS is authorized by a legislation of 1986 to offer product certification. This certification programme is basically voluntary. Any manufacturer who feels confident enough that his product has the ability to meet the BIS standard can apply for product certification in two ways:
- Submitting an application at the nearest BIS office. A BIS officer will then evaluate at the factory level, the capability of the manufacturer to produce goods according to the standards laid down for the category. Samples are tested at the factory and outside. If the evaluation is satisfactory and the product passes the tests, a licence is granted and the manufacturer can use the coveted ISI mark.
- The manufacturer provides test reports to BIS after it gets the product tested in the bureau’s labs and gets the necessary documents certified independently. BIS is supposed to check the veracity of the reports within a month and grant a licence for usage of the ISI mark.
List of the Products that require ISI Registration
For the following products, ISI registration is mandatory:
- Household Electrical Goods
- Food & Related Products
- Oil Pressure Stoves
- Automobile Accessories
- Cylinders, valves, and regulators
- Medical Equipment
- Steel products
- Electrical Transformers
- Electrical motors
- Chemical & Fertilizers
- Kitchen Appliances
- Domestic Water Heaters for use with LPG
- Air Conditioner and its related part
- Plugs & Socket-Outlets
- Domestic Gas Stoves
- Transparent Float Glass
- Domestic Pressure Cooker
- Rubber Hose for LPG
- Aluminum Foil